About Sharon

I am broadly interested in statistical models and algorithms, applied to problems in genomics, functional genomics, and molecular systems engineering. My current research interests lie in developing computational methods for analyzing RNA structure mapping experiments and in modeling and analysis of next-generation sequencing-based protocols.

Before joining UC Davis, I was a postdoc at the Center for Computational Biology at UC Berkeley, where I worked with Lior Pachter. At Berkeley I also worked with the teams of Adam Arkin and David Schaffer on analyzing HIV’s evolutionary population dynamics when the virus is exposed to novel gene therapies.

Prior to that, I obtained my Ph.D. in information theory and communication systems at UCSD, under the supervision of Paul Siegel and Jack Wolf. My PhD work dealt with the design and analysis of error-correcting codes and signal processing methods for digital storage devices, such as CDs, DVDs, and disk drives. I have also worked in the telecom and software industries for several years and obtained my Master’s in discrete optimization from the Technion, where I worked with Shmuel Onn. My research and industrial experience span both theoretical and applied work, in the areas of bioinformatics, applied mathematics, algorithmics and systems engineering.

Bookmark the permalink.